By default, downloading the blekko spam-free search bar also changes your default search engine to blekko. When downloading the search bar, you should have a chance to choose what settings on your Chrome browser to change. Please let us know if you encounter any problems with choosing these settings while installing.
(For help on uninstalling the search bar, please click here.)
Here are instructions for changing these settings manually.
To change your startup page (homepage):
1. Click on the wrench icon to the right of the address bar. This should be the wrench for Chrome and not for any toolbar. (Some versions of Chrome will have three horizontal bars instead of a wrench. Click on that if you see that instead of the wrench.)
2. A pop-up will appear. Scroll down and click on “Options” or “Settings.”
3. Click on the “Settings” tab on the left hand side.
4. The section marked “On startup” determines what page is shown when you open your browser. Make sure the radio button is checked for “Open a specific page or set of pages:” and click on “set pages.” (if you want New Tab page or to open your last session instead, click one of those radio buttons and skip to step 6)
5. Click on the X mark to the right of http://blekko.com to delete that. Then enter the URL of the homepage you’d like to use in the “Add a new page” section. Some common homepages are Google: http://www.google.com, Comcast: http://xfinity.comcast.net/, MSN: http://www.msn.com/, Yahoo!: http://www.yahoo.com/, AOL: http://www.aol.com. Hit “OK” to close the pop-up. (If you need help finding your homepage, please email us at email@example.com.)
6. Close your browser.
7. Re-open your browser.
To change your default search engine:
1. Click on the wrench in the right hand side. This should be the wrench for Chrome and not any toolbar.
2. Click on “Options” or “Settings.” Make sure you are in the “Settings” tab.
3. In the Search part of the page, choose the search engine from the drop down that you would like to use.
4. Searching in the address bar should use the search engine you chose now.