By default, downloading the blekko spam-free search bar also changes your default search engine to blekko, sets your homepage to blekko.com and changes your address bar search to blekko. When downloading the search bar, you should have a chance to choose what settings on your Firefox browser to change. Please let us know if you encounter any problems with choosing these settings while installing.
(For help on uninstalling the search bar, please click here.)
Here are instructions for changing some of those settings manually.
To change your homepage:
First, go to the URL of the page you want to be your home page. Here are some common homepages: Google, Comcast, MSN, Yahoo!, AOL. If you would like one of those to be your homepage, click on the link. If you need help finding your homepage, please email us at email@example.com. While you are on the page that you’d like to be your homepage, follow these instructions, depending on if you are on a Mac or PC.
- Go to Firefox -> Preferences.
- Click on the “General” tab.
- Click on “Use Current Pages” to set the home page to the page you are currently on.
- If there is still a problem, try clicking on “Restore to Default” instead to re-set your homepage to its default setting.
- Go to Tools -> Options.
- Click on the “General” tab.
- Click on “Use Current Page” to set your home page to the page you are currently on.
- If there is still a problem, try clicking on “Use Default” instead to re-set your homepage to its default setting.
To change your default search engine:
- Click on the arrow to the left of the query box.
- Click on your preferred search engine from the list displayed.
To change your address bar search:
- Type about:config in the address bar and click “Enter”.
- This brings up a warning. Click on “I’ll be careful, I promise!”
- Type “keyword” in the Search: section and hit enter.
- Double-click on the Preference Name keyword.URL.
- This will bring up a pop-up. Enter the value of the search engine you would like to use. For Google, enter this exact text in the text field: http://www.google.com/search?q=
- Click OK and close and re-open your browser. This should fix your address bar search.
If you need help determining that value for a different search engine, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To change the search box on your about:home page:
- In the Firefox address bar, type about:config and hit enter.
- You should see a warning on your screen. Click on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” to continue. You should now see a long list of rows and columns on the page. Each row is a Firefox setting.
- These values must be changed in this order:
- Change browser.search.defaultenginename to “Google”, or simply right-click on the Value column and choose Reset.
- Delete the value stored in browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID, or simply right-click on the Value column and choose Reset
- The search box on your about:home page should no longer search blekko.